Women, men and teen volunteers play an important role within KishHealth System, providing friendly neighbor-to-neighbor interactions with our patients and visitors. These interactions help put patients and family members at ease and make them feel comfortable and cared for. In addition, volunteers perform tasks that help our staff have more time to provide patient care.
Volunteers also discover how their own lives are enriched by helping others.
Volunteer opportunities are available at:
Kishwaukee Hospital in DeKalb welcomes volunteers from high school age through retirement. Besides the hospital, volunteers also serve at the Cancer Center and Physical Therapy Center.
What you need to know to be a Kishwaukee Hospital volunteer:
- Most shifts are three hours and an effort is made to match the volunteer’s skills to their assignment.
- Volunteers serve at the reception desk in the main lobby and Surgical Services.
- Volunteers escort patients and deliver newspapers to patient rooms.
- Volunteers round on patients in their rooms, answering questions and addressing concerns.
- Volunteers help with clerical duties in other departments.
- Volunteers help with mailings.
- Volunteers staff the Green Leaf Gift Shop
- Volunteers read to children at the Center for Family Health clinics at DeKalb County
- Health Department
- Volunteers with certified therapy dogs visit patients as a part of the Healing Paws volunteer service. Learn more about the Healing Paws program at Kishwaukee Hospital in DeKalb.
View available volunteer services positions at the hospital.
TAGS (Teen Age Group Service)
- Deadline to submit application for the following school year is May 1.
- Interviews are scheduled with the future TAGS volunteer and a parent/guardian.
- Orientation and two training sessions required.
Dogs must be certified and at least 2 years old. Kishwaukee Hospital’s therapy dogs and their handlers are specially trained through Therapy Dogs International, Inc. and Pet Partners, which are volunteer organizations dedicated to regulating, testing and registering therapy dogs and their volunteer handlers for visiting nursing homes, hospitals, and wherever else therapy dogs are needed.
Therapy Dogs Provide Healing Power of Animal Contact
Valley West Hospital
At Valley West Hospital we know people in our community have talents we can use, and that there is a place here for them to become a volunteer, you must be an Auxiliary member and attend a new volunteer orientation.
Valley West volunteers:
- Help with fundraisers throughout the year
- Help with hospital events.
- Help with blood drives and immunization clinics.
- Serve at the reception desk
- Work in the Gift Shop
- Sort mail and perform clerical tasks.
KishHealth System Hospice
Hospice Volunteers are absolutely vital in fulfilling the mission of Hospice to care for patients and families facing the end of life. Hospice volunteers change lives, including their own. You can choose to work with patients directly or behind the scenes. Areas of interest include:
- Patient and family support
- Office work
- Music at the bedside
If you are interested in volunteering at KishHealth System Hospice, please call 815.756.3000 or send an email to email@example.com.